Mobility Cultures in Megacities
The Institute for Mobility Research (ifmo), a research facility of BMW Group, is pleased to announce an international call to researchers for up to 6 post-doctoral fellowships within the strategic field of “Mobility Cultures in Megacities”.
Duration of Fellowship: 6 months (extension of 2 months possible)
Location: Munich, Germany
Academic Partners: Technische Universität München
Goethe Universität Frankfurt
Disciplines: Urban transport and mobility; social sciences with a specialisation in mobility and transport research; other fields of study directly related
Background and objectives
The major objective of the program is to generate a profound understanding of mobility patterns and mobility cultures in megacities in different parts of the world. Fellows with a regional background in these cities are asked to collaborate on a set of research questions in an attractive, interdisciplinary and intercultural environment. The characteristics and challenges of the cities shown in the map have already been analysed – those places are of specific interest for the fellowship program.
Key research interests include
• Identifying the characteristics, opportunities and constraints of the megacity studied like demographic, social, economic and regulatory conditions.
• Analyzing long-term mobility decisions like location choice/urbanization, motorization,
• Studying every-day mobility patterns like activity-chains, mode and destination choices in function of spatial structure and transport supply as well as underlying social motivations.
• Investigating mobility cultures, lifestyles, perceptions and attitudes in the respective cities and their “points of entry” in order to learn if and how they might change over time.
• Assessing stakeholder interaction, local planning and policy discourses and their cultural background in order to develop perspectives for “good governance“.
• Identifying challenges and developing strategies for the future of urban mobility.
Further information and address for submission of applications
Institute for Mobility Research (ifmo)
A Research Facility of BMW Group
Please visit http://www.ifmo.de for further details and background on the current research approach.